I joined film arts nonprofit Aurora Picture Show’s roster of media art educators in 2014, and have worked with them on many animation-focused youth workshops, residencies, and pop-up events.
Cancer Center Arts In Medicine
Animation Residency, 2016
- Develop curriculum and teach animation techniques to pediatric cancer patients and their families at a weekly workshop.
- Facilitate the production of “Postcards from Space”, a large-scale, collaborative animated science fiction film with interactive elements, written by children and teens.
Artist Residency, Wesley Community Center, 2016
- Developed curriculum and taught animation history and paper-based, hand-drawn and cut-out animation techniques to 4th and 5th graders in Houston, TX.
- Created four narrative and one abstract experimental animated shorts.
Artist Residency, Reynolds Elementary, 2015
- Led classroom of 15 students aged 8 to 11 in creating seven animated shorts and a small music library for their own use.
- Projects went on to screen at 10+ festivals, including the 2015 LA International Children’s Film Festival, at LACMA.
Stop-Motion in the Classroom
Professional Development Workshop, 2015
- Taught iPad-based stop-motion production workflow to elementary school teachers looking to incorporate paper cut-out animation into their lesson plans
- Developed original curriculum in collaboration with Aurora Education Director, Camilo Gonzalez
Roberts Elementary, 2015
- Taught iPad-based stop-motion and whiteboard animation techniques to elementary students
- Guided student groups through production process for social issue-based PSAs and presentations that incorporated their own animations
Aurora Mobile Media Literacy
Pop-Up Animation Event, 2015 – present
Co-lead on-site, art therapy-oriented, DIY animation and flipbook-making instruction events at Texas Children’s Hospital, MD Anderson, and various pop-ups.
Youth Filmmaking Bootcamps
Summer Workshops, 2014 – 2015
Taught media literacy and digital video production.
Winter Animation Camp
Winter Workshop, 2014
Taught stop-motion and cut-out animation techniques, Dragonframe, Final Cut Pro.