As founding festival director for Rush Process Festival of Handcrafted Animation, the only full-scale animation festival in the state of Texas, my duties included:
- Choosing the panel of judges for the competition section
- Securing venues and sponsors
- Creating submission guidelines and judging rubric, beginning with big-picture questions like: What amount of digital influence pushes a project out of the realm of “handcrafted” animation?
- Soliciting submissions
- Film curation
- Coordinating and scheduling screenings and workshops
- Co-developing curriculum for the festival’s animation jam (the “Improv Meets Animation” workshop) in collaboration with Traci Thiebeaux and Jeromy Barber of Beta Theater.
- Micro video production
- Design and micro copy for Facebook ads
- Running the Dragonframe-powered GIF photo booth, co-created with festival Development & Promotions director Janine Waranowicz:
Big Things in Small Films at The Rush Process, Arts+Culture TX Magazine
Interview with Festival Director Dave Merson Hess (Rush Process Festival of Handcrafted Animation), Festival Reviews
At Rush Process, An Appreciation of the Analog, Houstonia Magazine
HHH, Episode 21: Dave Merson Hess, DIY Animation, and Rush Process, Heaven Hell Or Houston